Most forklift accidents are easy to prevent but it means that a business must provide training and monitoring.
Follow these safety tips to avoid unnecessary accidents and injuries :
- Inspect the vehicle daily to ensure all parts are functioning properly.
- Monitor the direction in which you are heading. When turning, stop and look before moving.
- When working in a congested area take extra precautions.
- Never turn while on a ramp and keep an eye out for overhead clearance.
- Keep the vehicle at the speed limit and sound your horn when you are approaching people.
- Do not raise or lower the load while the truck is moving.
- Do not allow people to ride on the forks. Only allow a passenger when there is a seat available.
- Do not overload the fork and make sure the load is properly balanced.
- When the FL is not in use, make sure the brakes are set, the forks completely lowered and the forklift truck switched off.
Following these precautions will help to keep your environment safe, and keep you from having to renew your forklift certification prematurely.